The technique is simple: fill a medium pot with 1/2 inch of water, place three golf ball–sized balls of aluminum foil on the bottom, rest a heat-proof plate on top of the foil balls, cover the pot, and bring the water to a boil. Add vegetables to the plate, cover, and steam until crisp-tender.
What can I use if I don’t have a steamer?
If you don’t steam food frequently—‚or if you find yourself in need of a steaming basket, stat—don’t run out and buy one. All you need is a metal colander or a baking rack, a big pot, and some aluminum foil, and you’ve got everything you need to make a steamer at home.
How do you steam vegetables on the stove top?
How to steam vegetables: a tutorial!
- Step 1: Chop the veggies into uniform pieces. …
- Step 2: Fill the pot with water under the steamer basket. …
- Step 3: Add the veggies, cover, and steam until crisp tender (timing below). …
- Step 4: Drain and season.
Can you steam veggies in the microwave?
To micro-steam, lay vegetables in a single layer on a microwave-safe plate. Cover them with a triple layer of damp paper towels. Microwave on high heat until the vegetables are tender, two and a half to six minutes, depending on the power of your microwave.
Can you steam vegetables in the oven?
You can even steam vegetables in the oven if you want! For this method, you can either use a roasting pan and rack or a baking dish and a baking rack. Either will work fine.
Can I boil vegetables instead of steaming?
Boiling veggies leads to a lot of nutrient loss, and the longer the veggie boils, the more nutrients will escape into the water. Steaming veggies on the other hand is a brief process, and it is the method that leads to the least loss of nutrients in most veggies.
Can you steam with a plastic colander?
Your colander or strainer cannot be made of plastic; it has to be resistant to the heat of the boiling water.
How do you steam carrots without a steamer?
Bring a scant 1/2 inch of salted water to boil in a large frying pan or saute pan. Add the peeled and trimmed and/or chopped carrots, cover, and cook until the carrots are tender to the bite and the water has evaporated, about 5 minutes. If you want your carrots a bit more tender, simply cook them a little longer.
How do you season boiled vegetables?
7 ways to bring more flavor to steamed vegetables
- Salt and pepper. A dish is never going to taste great if salt and pepper aren’t involved in it in the slightest. …
- Olive oil. …
- Vinegar. …
- Soy sauce or broth. …
- Lemon juice. …
- Garlic. …
What vegetables can be steamed?
Which vegetables can I steam?
- Good vegetables to steam – Broccoli, spinach and other leafy greens; cauliflower, asparagus, carrots, green beans, small potatoes and artichokes.
- Veg to avoid steaming – Any large chunks of hard veg, such as potatoes, squash or celeriac.
How do you steam vegetables in a Ziploc bag?
Chop any large vegetables like broccoli or cauliflower into bite sized pieces and add them all to a microwave-safe plastic bag. Seal the bag 3/4 of the way across if using a ziplock bag but be sure to leave a small gap so the steam can escape. Put the bag into the microwave and cook on high for about 3 minutes.
Is it better to microwave or steam vegetables?
Basically, water, not the microwave, is the most important factor when cooking vegetables, according to Grist. The less water, the better: Steaming, for instance, is a fairly good option because the veggies have less contact with water.
How do you steam broccoli in Tupperware?
- Put broccoli and water in a large, round microwave proof tupperware/gladware.
- Press lid on top but do not fully seal.
- Microwave on high for two minutes.
- Press and seal lid. Let stand for one minute.
- You can let the broccoli steam longer if you prefer it to be more tender.
- Drain and serve.
How do you boil vegetables in the oven?
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F (200 degrees C). Lightly oil a large, shallow baking dish.
- Combine vegetables in prepared baking dish, and lightly salt. Brush with olive oil, and sprinkle with dry soup mix.
- Bake for 30 to 45 minutes in the preheated oven, or until vegetables are tender.
Can you use a strainer as a steamer basket?
2Use a Strainer or Colander
This steamer hack is as simple as it gets. All you need to do is place your food in a large kitchen strainer, and place it on top of your pot of water. You can also do this with a colander instead of a strainer.